Looking for an easy way to use up that leftover Christmas ham? Look no further – this Cheddar and Ham biscuit recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the leftovers for weeks to come!
We always have ham and turkey for Christmas. As I explained when I shared our Christmas menu last week, it’s because my husband likes ham and I like turkey. It’s that simple. This of course, means that we end up with tons of leftovers, which is awesome. But, sometimes it’s difficult to come up with different ways to use the leftover meat!
Yesterday, I was perusing through Pinterest, looking for some new leftover ham and/or turkey recipes, when I came across a ham biscuit recipe. I’ve never even thought of putting ham (or any other meat, for that matter) into my biscuits, so I figured I’d give it a shot.
Since we were having Easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup for dinner, I thought the biscuits would be a great side to have with it. Instead of using the recipe I found, I just used my regular biscuit recipe and added the ham, then, I threw in some shredded cheddar just for fun. And boy, am I glad that I did! Even the husband was raving about these and believe me when I say, it takes a lot to get him excited about a biscuit!
These Cheddar and Ham Biscuits are not only amazingly good, but they are amazingly simple to make, too! They require just 7 ingredients (including the ham and cheddar) and they are ready to eat in about 20 minutes! Plus, you could totally make these without leftover Christmas Ham. You could use any leftover ham or even just ham lunch meat from the deli – just chop it up in your food processor and follow the remainder of the recipe.
So, if you’re in need of a way to use up your leftover ham, give this Cheddar and Ham Biscuit recipe a try – your whole family will thank you, I promise!
Cheddar and Ham Biscuit Recipe
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Electric Mixer or Stand Mixer
- Medium Scoop
- Rolling Pin
- Biscuit Cutter
- Baking Sheets
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening, butter-flavored
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half & half
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add shortening to the dry ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes or until the ingredients look like sand.
- Sprinkle in chopped ham and shredded cheddar cheese, then mix on medium speed until there is ham and cheese throughout the dry ingredients.
- Pour half & half into the dry mixture and mix on medium speed until just combined.
- Scoop biscuit dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for a few seconds or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large square about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or use a drinking glass that measures about 3 inches in diameter.
- Place round biscuits on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the sides are lightly golden.
- Serve warm with Easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup.
Want to freeze these to eat later?
Just follow steps 2 through 7, then place biscuits on wax paper and stack inside freezer bags. When you’re ready to eat some biscuits, just pull out what you need and bake.
Have a Spectacular Day!