This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Looking for something new for dinner that doesn’t cost much money? Try this Depression Dinner Recipe tonight! It’s delicious, filling and super-cheap to make.
Several years ago, my youngest daughter was part of an American Girl Club through a homeschool program we were using.
While studying the doll Kit Kitteredge, who’s story takes place during the Great Depression, she was given this recipe to try as part of their project.
During the Great Depression, food was scarce and fancy ingredients were hard to come by.
Many home cooks were forced to come up with new and creative ways of using the supplies they had on hand.
It wasn’t possible to run to the grocery store if they were out of milk. Instead, they utilized what they had available.
Lucky for us, they came up with a great deal of delicious recipes that are simple to make without costing a fortune for ingredients.
And, if you’re anything like me, you’re always grateful for any quick, easy recipe that the whole family loves.
Am I right?
Over the years, this Depression Dinner recipe has become one of our favorites. It’s the perfect meal for a cold or rainy night.
Hearty enough for Dad and yummy enough to satisfy even the pickiest of children. It’s simple and fast to make, too, taking less than an hour throw together and cook.
Plus, it only requires 5 ingredients (not counting salt & pepper)!
So, the next time you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner to throw together, give this Depression Dinner Recipe a try – your family will love it!
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small onion
- 4 large potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- Combine apple cider vinegar and sugar in a small bowl.
- Slice onion into thin slices. Place into the vinegar and sugar mixture. Set aside and allow the onion to marinate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks. Place into a large pot of water. Add salt and pepper to the potatoes. Heat to boiling. Continue cooking for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft enough to mash.
- Drain potatoes and mash, as desired.
- Brown ground beef in a medium saucepan. Pour marinade over the ground beef. Stir to combine and continue to cook on medium temperature for 5 minutes.
- Scoop potatoes into a large bowl. Ladle ground beef and sauce over the potatoes.
- Serve hot.
You might also like:
- BBQ Beef and Bean Casserole Recipe
- 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein
- Old-Fashioned Salisbury Steak Recipe in 30 Minutes or Less!
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on