Love diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers but hate the ridiculous cost of a 6 ounce can at the grocery store? Make your own Copycat Ro-Tel instead! It’s so easy and it tastes great!
As you might have noticed from my earlier post, I’m on a tomato roll today. So, I figured, rather than wait, I’d get this recipe for Copycat Ro-Tel up for you today!
Aren’t you so excited? Come on, you know you are!
Anyway, here at the Hamlin house, we like Ro-Tel in so many things!
From the traditional dip it’s famous for to chili to tacos to bean dip.
Seriously, we like it a lot!
There are so many different ways to use these yummy tomatoes and hot peppers, how could you not?!
So, this year, with my overwhelming tomato crop, I decided to can homemade tomatoes and hot peppers AKA Copycat Ro-Tel!
It’s the first time I’ve ever done it and they are delicious!
I just used the same basic process as canning crushed tomatoes, except instead of running them through the food processor, I diced the tomatoes and peppers with a knife.
Besides the tedious job of dicing the tomatoes, the entire process only takes a little over an hour to complete, so you have no excuse not to try these (unless of course you don’t like tomatoes…or hot peppers)!
So, what are you waiting for?
Go get some tomatoes and make your own Copycat Ro-Tel today!
Here’s the recipe…
Supplies You’ll Need:
- 6 half-pint jars with lids, approximately
- Food processor or blender
- Large stockpot
- Water Bath Canner and Rack
- Canning tools (funnel, jar lifter)
- 10 tomatoes
- 3 or 4 jalapeno peppers
- 6 tsp kosher salt
- Wash the tomatoes and peppers.
- Remove the core of the tomatoes and dice into 1/2 inch size pieces.
- Remove the stem and slice the jalapeno peppers.
- Place all of the tomatoes and the peppers into a large stockpot.
- Cook on medium-high temperature until boiling.
- Turn the temperature down to medium-low and continue cooking for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Sterilize and prepare 6 half-pint jars.
- Use a ladle to scoop tomatoes and jalapeno peppers into clean jars.
- Add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt to the top of the tomatoes and peppers. Don't stir it in, just leave it right on top.
- Wipe the rim of each jar and cover with lids. Process in a hot water bath for 40 minutes.
- Allow the jars to rest overnight. Then, label and store your homemade tomatoes and jalapeno peppers for use throughout the year.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on