This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my policies to learn more.
Searching for an easy takeout recipe you can make at home? Try this Easy General Tso Chicken – you’ll never want to eat out again!
What’s your favorite Chinese Takeout meal? Mine is by far General Tso Chicken.
I order it 99% of the time. There’s just something really special about that sweet and spicy flavor that you just don’t get from anything else.
I’ve even tried the General Tso Shrimp, but it just doesn’t cut it.
It’s got to be the chicken!
But, the problem is, it’s getting more and more expensive to get takeout.
The last time we ordered Chinese food, for our family of 4, the bill rang up at $57 and change! We might as well have just eaten out…at a sit down restaurant!
Needless to say, we don’t eat Chinese very often…
It’s fun to play around with new recipes, but the two that always stick around here are the Pineapple Chicken and this Easy General Tso Chicken.
Can you tell we like chicken?
We do. A lot!
So, I know I’ve promised about a hundred times to get this recipe up for you and I’ve procrastinated about a hundred times, too.
But it’s finally here!
But, don’t get all worried about the number of ingredients when you look at the recipe!
Most are pantry staples and spices.
And while it looks overwhelming, it comes together so quickly.
Dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Here’s the recipe…you’re going to love this one!
For the chicken:
- 3 lbs chicken, boneless and skinless
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 4 cups oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons oil, for cooking
- 4 cups Rice, ramen noodles or broccoli
Prepare the chicken:
- Use a sharp knife to cut chicken into small, bite-sized chunks. About 1" in size.
- Combine soy sauce, egg, black pepper and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add chicken to the sauce. Set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, white vinegar, sugar and chicken broth in a large bowl. Set aside.
Fry the chicken:
- Preheat the frying oil, in a large stock pot or deep fryer, to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry chicken chunks for 5 to 6 minutes or until brown and thoroughly cooked.
- Drain on paper towels or a wire rack.
Heat the sauce:
- Heat a large skillet or wok on medium high temperature. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Pour premade sauce into the pan. Turn the temperature down to medium. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add chicken to the sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve chicken over rice, ramen noodles or broccoli.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
You might also like:
- Chinese Pineapple Chicken: Ready in 30 Minutes or Less!
- 20 Minute Sweet and Spicy Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein
- Spicy Chicken Ramen: 5 Ingredients & 10 Minutes
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on