Don’t waste your money on takeout pizza. Homemade Calzones are the perfect, quick & easy, dinner for a busy night.
But, every now and then, it’s nice to switch things up and add a new saucy dish to our dinner menu.
Homemade Calzones are one of those things that we rarely eat, but really love. I don’t know why I don’t make them more often – they are so simple to put together.
This past week, I had some leftover ricotta cheese, from our Christmas Eve lasagna, that needed to be used up, so what better excuse to make Homemade Calzones?
My favorite part about making Calzones is their versatility. You can essentially add anything you like to them and you just can’t mess it up!
It’s just like making pizza…just rolled up into a neat little pocket.
Personally, I like the traditional ricotta and mozzarella cheese mixture dipped in pizza sauce. My oldest daughter and the husband like to add pepperoni to their calzones.
In the past, we’ve added steak and American cheese, peppers and onions and even fresh tomatoes.
What will you add to yours?
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Toppings of your choosing, ex. pepperoni, sausage, peppers and onions, etc.
- Pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate pizza dough into 4 separate balls.
- Dust counter with a little flour to prevent sticking. Use a rolling pin to roll out each ball of dough into a rectangle (about 6 inches wide x 10 inches long).
- Scoop 1/4 cup ricotta cheese onto the bottom half of each dough rectangle.
- Sprinkle each pile of ricotta cheese with mozzarella cheese.
- Add toppings as desired.
- Fold the top of half of the dough rectangle over the cheese and seal the edges.
- Place homemade calzones onto a large baking sheet (11 inches x 17 inches).
- Use a knife to make a slice through the top of each calzone to allow air to escape while baking.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Great Day!
Last Updated on