Craving some vanilla pudding but don’t have any instant mix? Try my Homemade Vanilla Pudding without Cornstarch – no fancy ingredients necessary!
My kids love vanilla pudding and we make it often. Occasionally, we cheat and use the pre-packaged instant pudding mix that you buy at the store, but usually we make it from scratch.
Honestly, I don’t know why we ever bother to buy the boxed stuff. You make my homemade vanilla pudding without cornstarch and there’s no dry milk involved, either.
It just uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. Flour, Sugar, Milk, Eggs, Butter, Salt and Vanilla.
It’s so easy!
Personally, I’d rather eat it homemade version. It’s so much creamier and you can flavor it with as much vanilla as you like.
Or if you want to, you can add your own favorite flavors like chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch, just stir in your favorite chips at the end. You can even switch up the flavor extract and use whatever else you have on hand…like my Lemon Balm Tincture!
While the kids love to eat this pudding plain, we also use it in Homemade Cream Puffs and Pudding Pies. But, you can pretty much use this homemade vanilla pudding without cornstarch in any of your favorite recipes that call for pudding.
So, the next time you feel the need for some pudding or you run to the pantry to find you don’t have any instant mix, give this recipe a try – you’ll never want to eat the boxed stuff again.
Here’s the printable recipe:
Homemade Vanilla Pudding Without Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a small pot. Scald over medium-high heat.
- Combine sugar, salt, flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour the flour mixture into the scalded milk. Stir constantly.
- Place egg yolk into a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the boiling cream mixture to the egg yolk, stir vigorously until combined. Pour back into the pot and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add butter and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- OPTIONAL: To add an additional flavor - add 1/2 cup of your favorite candy chips (chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, etc.) and stir until melted.
- Store in plastic or glass storage containers with lids.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Great Day!