This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Learn how to make homemade croutons to add flavor and texture to your otherwise, boring salad!It’s salad season! And who wants to eat a plain old lettuce and tomato salad? Not me! Learning how to make homemade croutons is a great way to add flavor and texture to your otherwise, boring salad. Plus, you’ll save a ton of money if you regularly purchase croutons from the grocery store, because my homemade crouton recipe uses leftover bread and bread ends! There are so many flavors of homemade croutons that you can make and you can put them on a lot more than your greens! Here’s just a few ideas for using traditional croutons –
- Sprinkle them crushed onto your favorite cooked veggies.
- Sprinkle onto the top of casseroles before baking for added crisp.
- Run your homemade croutons through the food processor and use them in place of breadcrumbs in any recipe for added flavor.
- Throw a few onto your soup, stew, chili or even your favorite spaghetti sauce.
- Use large croutons in place of crackers with dips and spreads.
- Sprinkle them over ice cream.
- Use them in place of traditional crumb topping on pies, crisps or even crumb cakes.
- Crush and sprinkle on top of yogurt.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes
Total Time 7 minutes
- Leftover bread and/or bread ends, Feel free to use any bread you have including English muffins, dinner rolls or whatever else you have laying around
- Oil, again, use whatever you like. I've used canola, olive oil and sesame oil in the past
- Spices, herbs, sugar, dried maple syrup, etc.
- Place a large skillet on the stove. Drizzle lightly with oil and heat on medium temperature.
- While you're pan is heating up, dice the bread into 1/2" or 1" cubes.
- Sprinkle a single layer of bread cubes into the pan. Stir continuously. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle your homemade croutons with your choice of flavors. Repeat with remaining bread cubes.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on