Need a lucky treat for St. Patrick’s Day? Surprise the kiddos with these adorably delicious Lucky Cookies!
I was searching for a St. Patrick’s Day treat for the girls and came across this really simple cake mix cookie recipe that I’d saved on Pinterest.
After deciding to make the cookies green for the holiday, my oldest daughter thought it would be fun to add “gold” sugar to make them lucky.
Since it was St. Patrick’s Day and we made the cookies green and “gold” we decided to call them “Lucky Cookies”.
I’ve used lots of cake mix recipes before, but I’ve got to say…this one takes the cake…pun totally intended!
This “Lucky” Cookies Recipe is so simple to make and easy to adjust for any flavor, color or decoration.
Here’s the recipe:
For the cookie mix:
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 to 10 drops green food coloring, optional
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the "gold" sugar decoration (optional):
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 to 8 drops yellow food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the yellow cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla and food coloring in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop 18 cookies onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire baking rack or wax paper.
- Place the butter and confectioners sugar into a large bowl. Use an electric mixer on medium-low speed to combine the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add each tablespoon of milk, continuing to mix, until the filling is thick and creamy. Stir in vanilla.
- Using a tablespoon, place a large scoop of frosting on the bottom-side of 9 cookies. Top each frosted cookie with the remaining 9 cookies and gently press down until the filling begins to ooze out the sides.
- Combine the granulated sugar and yellow food coloring in a small bowl, using a fork to break down chunks.
- Gently, roll each cookie through the yellow sugar to coat the oozing filling.
I hope you enjoy this lucky cookies recipe!
You might also like:
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!