Just getting started on Etsy? Here’s 7 Free and Low-Cost Ways to Promote Your Etsy Shop so you can start getting more sales today!
As I mentioned, in the post “10 Things I’ve Learned After 10 Years on Etsy“, if you build it they won’t necessarily come. In fact, they probably won’t. You have to promote your Etsy shop constantly in order to get customers interested in buying your products. I read somewhere that potential customers need to see your products over and over again before they make the decision to buy. And it’s probably true.
Think about big businesses like Coca Cola or Apple. How many times a day do you see/hear an advertisement from one of these companies? My guess? Between television, magazines, online and radio ads you’re sure to hear about or see one of these companies at least 5 times a day. And that is exactly what you need to do to promote your Etsy shop.
Get your shop and your products in front of as many people as possible – everyday – multiple times per day!
Retail on the internet and retail in general, for that matter, is a numbers game. The more people get to see you, the more they get to know you, the more likely they are to buy from you. Look at Walmart – it’s a multi-billion dollar business. Why? Not because people trust them so much, but instead because they are everywhere! There’s a Walmart on every other corner in the United States and they advertise on/with every publication possible. People know exactly where to go and what they’re going to find when they get there and they don’t expect less (or more).
Obviously, I don’t expect you to have the sort of marketing budget that these big business have available to them. What small business does? But, there are many ways you can promote your Etsy shop without spending a ton of money. Below, I’ve compiled a list of 7 ways to promote your Etsy shop. Many of them are free and all of them are a great way to get your name out there and get more sales!
7 Ways to Promote Your Etsy Shop and Get More Sales
- Giveaway your inventory! Use your products as gifts to give friends, family, co-workers, school teachers and anyone else you can think of that might get use out of what you’re selling. The financial hit might be a bit uncomfortable, but it brings us to #2 on the list, which is…
- Word of Mouth – Word of mouth is probably the best way to promote your Etsy shop when you’re just getting started. Again, share the news of your new shop with friends and family. Ask them to share the news with everyone they know. Eventually, you’ll have a nice little group of supporters spreading information about your business around the world.
- Business Stationery – Just because your business is online doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have proper business stationery. It’s a great way to spread the word about your business. Create or buy a set of note cards, note paper and business cards that include your logo, business name, website and other contact information. Include a business card and a note to say thanks in every order you send out. Leave business cards on local bulletin boards and exchange them with other professionals in your area.
- Utilize Social Media – A great way to promote your shop online is through social media. Choose Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, whatever you like. Spend time getting to know how each one works and utilize it to the best of your ability. Share new products, behind the scenes peeks at how you create your products, examples of packaging and shipping, etc.
- Blog About It – Start a blog and write about your business journey. Share the same sort of thing that you would on social media – new products, sneak peeks, etc. – but go further in depth. Instead of sharing a picture of just a new product, write an article or a tutorial on how to create it. Show your readers what your studio looks like or share tips on organizing your craft supplies. Get to know your blog readers and pay attention to what they want – then, share more of it.
- Host a Party – Just like Avon or Pampered Chef! Build up some inventory, create a fun game and invite some friends over for a party. Provide a few drinks and some snacks, and have your products set up and ready to buy. Don’t forget to lay out a stack of business cards, so your friends and family can grab one to take home with them.
- List New Products – The best way to promote your Etsy shop, on Etsy, is to list new products regularly. The more you list gives customers more of your products to find and the more often you list provides you with the opportunity to get on multiple pages of the Etsy search engine, in your category.
I hope these ideas will help you promote your Etsy shop and start getting more sales today!
Have a Spectacular Day!