This Spinach and Broccoli Casserole is the perfect side dish for your dinner! It’s quick and easy to make, requires only 6 ingredients and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes – what could be easier?
Growing up, my great-aunt often made broccoli casserole for family functions and get-togethers. Funnily enough, my husband’s aunt also made broccoli casserole as her contribution to family gatherings. What a surprise it was to learn that they basically used the same recipe!
So, obviously it’s a common side dish at our house, too.
However, we don’t have it all that often, because honestly…it’s really BAD for you.
But, it tastes SO GOOD that we’ve gotta have it now and then, right?!
Well, last weekend I skipped out on our regular dinner menu and made this Spinach and Broccoli Casserole instead.
But, wait…you just said your aunts’ made BROCCOLI CASSEROLE…there was no mention of spinach!!
That’s because I added it…to make it a little healthier. And you can take it out if you don’t like it, but adding the spinach gives me a sense of peace.
Like I’m feeding my family lots of good, healthy greens…instead of lots of ooey, gooey, yummy
Side Note: I also make homemade cream of chicken soup when a recipe calls for it, so that makes it healthier too…right?! I’ll try to get my recipe up for that soon! But, for now…here’s a similar recipe from A Pinch of Healthy.
And no one here complains about the added spinach, either. Really, you could add any vegetable you like into this casserole…cauliflower, carrots, green beans…
Seriously, what veggie doesn’t like a little bath in some hot, melted cheese?
So, instead of stressing over what to make with your chicken or steak tonight, why not sneak some healthy greens into your dinner and make this yummy Spinach and Broccoli Casserole?
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 lb. Velveeta cheese
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 2 cups spinach, frozen or canned (drained), thawed
- 2 cups broccoli florets, frozen, thawed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine butter, cream of chicken soup, Velveeta cheese, salt and pepper in a large skillet. Heat on medium temperature until the cheese is melted. Stir occasionally.
- Add spinach and broccoli to the cheese sauce and continue cooking on medium temperature for 5 minutes.
- Pour spinach and broccoli with cheese sauce into a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the casserole to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends: