*UPDATED FROM OLD POST
Do you love the sweet and spicy flavor of Apple Cider but hate the inflated price at the grocery store? Make some Sweet & Spicy Apple Jelly to fill the craving! It’s super easy and it tastes like real Apple Cider!
I’ve been on a major canning kick lately. I just can’t seem to make enough to satisfy myself.
So far, I’ve canned 36 jars of pickles, plus 18 jars of jelly. I’ve never in my life canned so many things in one summer, but I’m having so much fun with it this year!
If you follow me on Pinterest (and if you don’t, you should…I find lots of cool stuff), you’re probably annoyed with me because I’ve been pinning so many canning recipes lately. Especially those pertaining to apples.
That’s because New York is the 2nd largest producer of apples in the U.S. and where I live, in the Catskill Mountains…there are lots and lots of apples. Lucky for us, my father in law planted a variety of apple trees at the family camp and this year they are producing like mad. That means TONS of free apples!
This past weekend, we picked well over 50 lbs of apples. I’m planning to make apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie filling and dried apple slices for the girls. And, I’m starting that project this afternoon…wish me luck! I’ll keep you updated on Instagram.
But, in the meantime, for those of you that don’t have a huge variety of apples available..it’s okay! You can still make some really awesome jelly. Just use regular 100% juice instead!
Oh and, apples produce pectin naturally, so it isn’t necessary to add large amounts (or really any) to apple jelly. I just cut down the amount in the recipe a little bit and it worked out fine.
It’s amazing. Seriously. You have to try it!
You’ll love it!
Here’s the recipe:
Supplies/Equipment You Need:
- Large stockpot
- 4 – pint jars with lids and bands
- Canning funnel
- Water bath canner and rack
- Jar lifter
(Buy a whole canning set on Amazon including a water bath canner, jar rack, bubble remover, jar lifter, magnetic lid lifter, jar wrench and jar funnel for just $34.99!)
Sweet and Spicy Apple Jelly Recipe
- 3 cups 100% apple juice – no sugar added
- 3 tablespoon pectin
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Prepare your jars and water bath canner.
- Combine apple juice and pectin in a large pot. Heat juice mixture on medium-high temperature.
- Add butter and continue cooking until boiling.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, add sugar and spices. Continue boiling for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place funnel into a jar and fill with jelly. Repeat with remaining jars.
- Wipe the edge of each jar with a damp paper towel to make sure there is no sticky jelly on the edges that will affect the seal. Cover with lids and gently, screw on bands until just tight.
- Place jars into the canning rack and drop into the water bath canner.
- Place the lid onto the canner. Bring to a rolling boil. Once water begins boiling, allow the jars to process for 10 minutes. (Adjust for your altitude.)
- Remove the lid and allow the jars to cool for a couple of minutes. Lift the canning rack and jars out of the water and set on a clean, kitchen towel.
- Remove jars from canning rack. Cover with a clean, kitchen towel and allow the jars to sit, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours.
- Check lids and make sure each has properly sealed.
- Label your delicious Sweet and Spicy Apple Jelly and save in a cool, dark cabinet for up to a year.
Make The Perfect Holiday Gift for Family and Friends!
- Decorate your jars with pretty labels. Place a few jars into a decorative basket filled with shredded paper, add a loaf of homemade bread. Then just tie on a gift tag.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!